Shadows will breathe

Shadows will breathe
"Careful. Evil has a way of making friends with the good and dragging them into the darkness." ~ Dr. Al Robbins

Tuesday, June 16, 2015

Nyctophobia.

Are you afraid of the dark?

Image source: Piccsy

If you are, then, you should go.
I won't be able to save all of you.
You see, I am too self-involved and too occupied with my own stories.

I am struggling to keep my own self above ground;
Keep my mind in check;
My own soul, clean.
I have this unfortunate habit of seeing things that I shouldn't see;
Of knowing things that no one around me acknowledges at all.

Have I always been linked to this dark side?
I'd like to think not.
I'd like to think that I was an innocent at one time in my life.
Just once, carefree and unscathed from this darkness that takes hold of my nights.
But I cannot remember that far back -
Cannot recall those days before they came for me.
I only remember their invasion-
The nights they visit;
The moments when they smother my screams.

I can still feel that darkness cradle me and sniff me out.
I feel it take hold of my throat and tear -
Ripping that soul out from my casing;
Shredding that sacred cloak that used to keep me safe in the night.

Now, all I can see are shadows in the moonlight.
I hear whispers on the wind.
I smell the burnt flesh of those who have gone before me,
And I am visited by creatures that the imagination has yet to fathom.
I am a tortured soul.

I am chosen to be a witness;
I am an author to the horror;
A ghost writer, in the truest sense of the term.
It is my cross to bear - one that I agreed to long ago - and one that I must carry alone.

So, run.
Save your self from my style of darkness.
Go far, far away from here.

Search for the light,
Find it.
Grasp it.
And hold on for dear life.

~dpb~

No comments: